Trying to figure out how to publicize a new charity, "The Skaplavian Maldivian Lamprey Regurgitation Rehabilitation and Restorative Trust Fund" (aka. SMLRRRTF) via [insert-social-network-here].
My hope was to attract like-minded individuals, and together we could work on the Skaplavian Maldivian Lamprey Regurgitation (SMLR) problem.
Alas, I have failed. Nobody contacted me—nobody--and now Skaplavian Maldivian Lampreys (SMLs) have all died, choking on their own vomit. I’m talking extinction, folks! Bye-bye slimy, toothy, circular-mouthy, oh-so-adorable and noble creatures of the deep.
I was angry and hurt. How could we let this happen? Why did no one contact me? Then I thought, “Maybe they couldn’t find me?”
So using various internet tools I searched for “Skaplavian Maldivian Lamprey Regurgitation” and this is what I found:
- google.com: A link to my Tweet. At least that’s something.
- google.com if I’m in your circles: The Tweet plus the Google+ post.
- plus.google.com: Only my Google+ post.
- search.twitter.com: Nothing. I think it showed up in the first few days, but not now (maybe it depends on how old the tweet is or how busy are the servers?)
- bing.com: Nothing. Boo!
- new bing.com (with ties to facebook): Nothing.
- yahoo.com: Nothing.
- duckduckgo.com: Nothing (but at least it spent some time looking :-)
- facebook.com: Nothing, since by default FB only searches on names. But then from this link I learned about advanced search and so… Nothing. Apparently the advanced search only goes back a week (or so it appears to me).